Ahh there is so much information I could put under Nutrition. I will keep it plain and simple…
- Where are you now? Track your intake for at least a week to get an idea how much fruits, vegetables, protein, dairy, meat, nuts, liquid, etc. you are consuming on a daily basis. Choosemyplate.gov has a great tracker called Super Tracker, myfitnesspal.com is a great online and mobile tracking option as well. It does not matter if you put an “X” per serving, or put the amount of calories in that food- just start tracking!
Also make note of triggers, changes in mood, digestion, etc. while you track.
- Become educated! Click here to learn about your daily recommended values of food from choosemyplate.gov
- Create goals. Remember, they should be SMART goals. Read more about goal setting here.
Example: I will eat 2-3 more fruit & vegetables per day by adding them 2 in my morning omelette and 1 or more in my afternoon sandwich.
- Learn how to cook! There are great YouTube videos on how to do everything from prepare an avocado to cook a turkey. Just search whatever you want to learn on youtube.com
- Look up recipes and just try them. We all started somewhere. And by the way, it’s normal to make not-so-great meals at first 🙂
fooducate (free) phone app- compare grocery items by scanning barcodes right in the store!
Leanne Brown– provides a PDF cookbook for low-income/budgeting folks!
Search “nutrition” to read related posts, tips and articles!
Twitter: @InPower Coach
Facebook: InPower Coaching