Hello everyone! Just in case you missed my guest post in dailycupofkate‘s blog last week on what I’m learning as a Wellness Coach, I”ll post it on here as well. Enjoy!
I currently work for a healthcare system in MN and recently have started my own LLC (InPower Coaching). I have daily learning experiences from each of my awesome, patient, hard-working clients. So here’s what I’ve learned and want you to remember…
- You can always say “I want this” “I wish that”…but you should really start saying HOW you are going to get “this” and HOW you are going to get “that”
- Positive talk is everything. Start your day saying something positive in the mirror. It’s a little cheesy, but just do it. I had a client lose 5 POUNDS from doing 2 ½ weeks of positive self talk. Not kidding.
- Number 2 makes a point about how changing your mental health can impact your physical health. There are many facets of health. Do not just exercise and eat healthy, but also go call a friend, sit in silence, try a new hobby. Understand health is physical, mental, and spiritual and there needs to be a blend between them throughout your life.
- Health is simple, but not always easy. Someone who is healthy makes the choice to be healthy., every day. Every meal. Every workout. Whether or not it was easy to say no to a co-worker’s brownies, or exercise when they were exhausted, they do it because it gets them to reach their goals.
- So, set goals…set 3 month goals and weekly goals. Make sure they are SMART goals. Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. (Ex: I will run every Monday and Wednesday for 45 minutes after work around the lake). The goals should answer who, what, where, when…
- I’m obsessed with whiteboards, but maybe notebooks will work better for you. Either way, start tracking! I just put “X” in the boxes on my whiteboard for my weekly workouts but I know some people that write in their notebook what they ate and give themselves stars if they accomplish their goals. Use what works for you. Tracking has been shown time and time again to help individuals enhance their health. Remember, it doesn’t have to be a specific kind of tracking, a check mark or “x” in a box works if that’s what works for you.
- Everyone is different. You have to figure out what your body best responds to for food, exercise and with your mental health. I notice I don’t feel as well when I eat a lot of yogurt, someone else might notice they don’t digest wheat well. Whatever doesn’t make you feel good, don’t do it.
- Mix it up! Enjoy a variety of fruits, veggies and food every day! It’s important to get a mixture of vitamins & minerals in your body.
- Try new recipes! I never knew what the heck a kumquat was until I just bought the bright-looking thing and then looked up recipes for it after. Get creative and try a new food this spring.
- Lastly, just a friendly reminder from the good ‘ol Wellness Coach that you really can do whatever you put your mind to. Quotes, pictures, positive affirmations, get started today. People respect those that respect themselves-and that self-respect starts with self-care.
Thanks for reading! Let me know if you are interested in reading more of my posts or signing up for your first free wellness consultation.
Twitter- @InPower Coach
Facebook- InPower Coaching